From Hans Finzel, in his excellent book The Top Ten Mistakes Leaders Make.
How dictators operate:
- They hoard decisions.
- They view truth and wisdom as primarily their domain.
- They restrict decisions to an elite group.
- They surprise their workers with edicts from above.
How facilitators lead:
- They delegate decisions.
- They involve others as much as possible.
- They view truth and wisdom as being distributed throughout the organization.
- They are developers.
- They see people as their greatest resources for ideas that will bring success.
- They give their people space to make decisions.
- They let those who are responsible decide how jobs will be done.