Step 1: Pray and Review
- Pray for wisdom and insight, and for God to work on your behalf.
- Review your mission and vision, so you stay connected to the big picture and don’t let them fall through the cracks.
Step 2: Define Your Priorities for the Week
For each of these things, write down the things you identify and come to mind:
- Reflect. Ask yourself “what do I need to do this week?” and “what would I like to do this week?”
- Review your roles and goals. Again, to stay connected to the big picture and make sure things don’t fall through the cracks. Ask “what 1-2 things would make the biggest impact this week in relation to each of my roles?”
- Review your project and action lists. Identify the core actions you need to move forward on this week.
- Review your calendar. What meetings and other activities do you have to prepare for?
- Get creative about doing good. Ask: Are there any actions I can take against injustice this week (Isaiah 1:17)? Who is in need, and how might I be able to help? What action can I take, even if small, in the fight against large global problems?
Step 3: Organize Your Priorities in a Way that Makes them Easy to Do
- Separate the large items from the small items.
- Schedule anything that needs to be scheduled.
- Do the small items right away.
- Put the large items on your weekly priority list for the week.
- Don’t skip planning, even when you are super busy. Being busy is the precise reason you need to plan!
- Seize unplanned opportunities throughout the week. Often, the most meaningful moments and opportunities are the things we didn’t expect or plan.