9 Books I Recommend on Leadership
My article at The Gospel Coalition.
The 9 books are:
- The Cross and Christian Ministry: Leadership Lessons from 1 Corinthians, DA Carson
- Spurgeon on Leadership, Larry Michael
- Next Generation Leader: 5 Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future, Andy Stanley
- The Top Ten Mistakes Leaders Make, Hans Finzel
- Leaders Who Last, Dave Kraft
- The One Thing You Need to Know, Marcus Buckingham
- You Don’t Need a Title to Be a Leader: How Anyone, Anywhere, Can Make a Positive Difference, Mark Sanborn
- Leadership, Rudy Giuliani
- Built to Last, Jim Collins and Jerry Porras
Read the whole thing for a short summary of the most significant insights from each, and why it’s important for Christians to read secular books on leadership as well as Christian ones.
One other thing (which is not in the post): The second book I listed was Spurgeon on Leadership. For those who don’t think it’s important for Christians to think about and understand leadership, I hope helps point in another way. If even Spurgeon understood leadership and was an effective leader, then maybe it is pretty important for the rest of us to care about leadership as well.
We should not pit caring about sound doctrine against caring about leadership. Spurgeon didn’t, and neither should we.